I’ve been thinking about the theater associated with Donald Trump’s choice of VP. Most so-called “experts” believe he’s down to Christie (the man who prosecuted his daughter’s father-in-law), Newt (3 wives, lots of baggage, and another old white man but perhaps the one person who absolutely would make Trump impeachment proof), and Indiana Governor Mike Pence (can’t even get re-elected as Governor, so boring he makes grass growing sound exciting). What a choice!
Trump knows he needs some excitement. I’m sure if he had his way, he would nominate himself or his daughter for VP, but that won’t fly. So, how can he shock the world, generate enormous amounts of publicity, and help himself in the election. Who is the one candidate besides Newt who matches Donald when it comes to vileness. Who is a younger version of Richard Nixon? Ted Cruz. Let me explain why this could happen.
Cruz hasn’t endorsed Trump, but he is scheduled to speak at the convention; we just don’t know when. Imagine if he dramatically endorses Trump. After all, he was the only candidate besides Carson who said nice things about Trump until there were only two of them left. So, why does Cruz make sense to Donald Trump?
- He’s an absolute shocker guaranteed to shake up everyone. He also guarantees that any movement to replace Trump will be unsuccessful. Remember that Cruz has the second-most delegates there.
- Cruz brings the best organization of any party and the highest approval ratings from Evangelicals–the very group that doesn’t trust Trump.
- Cruz speaks passable Spanish— A few key Hispanic votes in Florida would help Trump as would Cruz’s political machine in Iowa.
- Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer. Cruz is already mounting a campaign for the next election (2020). He would look disloyal to most Republicans as the VP candidate if he worked actively against his Presidential candidate or (God Forbid!) his President.
- Except for the Freedom Caucus, most Republican House members hate Cruz. There goes any chance of them encouraging Democrats to impeach President Trump with their minimal help.
- Cruz can down and dirty; he’s great at it and great at spinning loony conspiracy theories. Trump can act Presidential (snicker) during the campaign.
Why would Cruz choose to go along with this bombshell? He’s one of the most ambitious people in office (that’s saying a lot). He’s wanted to be President almost as long as Hillary Clinton. If Trump wins, Cruz is young enough to wait and be perfectly positioned to be the next Republican nominated. If Tump loses, then Cruz gets kudos from some Republican voters for his loyalty to the party. He has such strong Conservative markers that being with Trump won’t hurt him. After all, he always can get re-elected in Texas. Additionally, he doesn’t have to worry about offending mainstream Republican officer holders (are any left?) and consultants/talking heads on TV because they already hate him.
Okay, it might not be Cruz, but I’m betting it won’t be one of the four names the press has been bandying about. Trump knows from reality TV that he needs surprises to keep the audience coming back for more. if I am right, I would not be happy because it would be a formidable team that would tilt even more to the right. If elected, God help us, I can imagine America becoming more like Kansas. If you have been reading what’s happening in Kansas, then you can see why it frightens me.